The holidays bring with them a tradition of gift giving. It’s so much fun to join the hustle and bustle of shopping for those we love. And if you’re anything like me, occasionally while you’re out searching high and low for that perfect gift, a little something pops out that you just have to have—for yourself!
This year, in the midst of enjoying the sights and sounds of the season, why not consider giving yourself a gift that will last a lifetime? It’s very simple to do, when you connect with your Best Friend.
Imagine what life would be like if you had a Best Friend with you all the time. What’s the biggest gift you get from your relationship with that special person? Odds are high that it boils down to the way you feel in her presence.
Here’s how you can connect:
- Find a 3 x 5 index card—or the blank back of a holiday card—and get a pencil.
- Write a note to your best friend. Start it with Dear/Dearest [name] and, in a few sentences, list the reasons you value and trust her—or him. (This works even if you’re remembering or imagining your Best Friend…)
- Sign it with a closing phrase that sums up your feelings—such as, “All my love” or “Affectionately.”
Now here’s how you turn it into a gift that lasts a lifetime:
- Erase your best friend’s name and fill in your own.
- Read what you’ve written—and then speak your message aloud to yourself.
- Imagine having someone like you—someone who could write a message like that to someone they love—as your own Best Friend.
How did that feel? It might be a little uncomfortable at first. Even though you may not believe what you’re saying just yet, that’s perfectly okay. This is simply the beginning of a new way of thinking about yourself.
Now keep it handy. Read it to yourself at least once a day for the next 21 days—especially when you notice that you’re putting yourself down or questioning yourself. Although that might seem silly at first, or even feel weird, stick with it. I promise you that The Best Friend Technique gets easier with practice!
You’ll soon find out that when you become your own best friend, you begin to trust yourself in ways that were never before possible. Wouldn’t that be the perfect gift to give yourself for 2017?